Saturday, January 31, 2009

Covent Garden Market


Hello! Sorry I haven't blogged this week, but we really didn't do anything noteworthy. Sean went to school and we played at the park each afternoon...we did make some friends though, so
that was great! We meet 2 different families from Dallas, each with a 5 year old!! So hopefully we will play with them again soon!

These pictures are from the Covent Garden Market. This outside market has lots of booths selling mainly jewelry, hats, etc with lots of street performers. Sean loved the street performers, and the acrobats even had him help them a bit (until he got so freaked out with all the people staring at him, he had to stop). We saw 3 "shows", but it was so cold we couldn't really stay any longer. We then walked to Trafalgar Square and saw a bit of St. Martin-in-the-Fields church, the monument to Admiral Lord Nelson and the beginnings of the big Chinese New Year celebration. We are supposed to attend that tomorrow with my cousin, but it is supposed to be even colder and I don't think and outside event will be fun in these temps. I am not complaining however, because I know it is colder in MN - but at least in MN we have our winter boots and jackets! It may snow on Monday, which will be a big deal because that rarely happens in London! It is the coldest winter in 13 years....

Mike has had a very busy week with the students and he had a taste of what I dealt with in residence life! He appreciates student life people even more now! But all is resolved and we are back on course....he even gave his first test this week! What a tough prof he is - only the 3rd week of class and he has a test! But it is the only test of the semester...and he let those that wanted a long weekend take it at a different time. So he is really a softie!

I've been asked what, if anything, I miss most from home (aside from my friends/family of course!)....that would definately be my clothes dryer! We don't have one here, so we line try everthing in the flat. Which makes it all "crunchy" and the drying racks take up lots of space! We are 1/4 of the way done with our adventure already - starting to think about where we are going to travel on spring break and at the end. Sean doesn't appear to enjoy museums or many of the other "tourist" things, and is easily tired and/or stressed out. So that will limit some of what we can do. Fortunately many museums here are free so we can come and go, but we can't do that in Paris, Rome, etc. We'll probably see lots of parks and playgrounds and try and sneak in trips to the big attractions. We hate the thought of Disney Paris, but that would be Sean's ideal trip I think! Argh! Sean is eating more British food - fortunately he loves eggs and their baked beans, and we've been able to find chicken nuggets, pizza and hamburgers...not sure what he'll eat on the continent. We'll bring PB&J sandwiches I guess!

No comments: