Saturday, April 25, 2009

Westminster Abbey





Yesterday I was able to go and see the inside of Westminster Abbey. It is amazing!! Many famous kings, queens, poets, writers, etc. are buried or memoralized there, including Queen Mary and Queen Elizabeth I - both of which I've read about and was happy to see their crypt. (They share the same crypt, Elizabeth on top of Mary! Strange!) They did not allow photos to be taken inside, so I wasn't able to take a picture of the coronation throne, but I do have a postcard of it. I thought it would be this huge, ornate throne...but in reality it is a REALLY old chair that looks like it will fall over if anyone sits on it! It has been used for centuries, so that may be why it isn't very ornate or large...
Mike and Sean went to a theatre production of The Ugly Duckling while I shopped a bit (I intended to go to Westminster while they were at the show, but it was closed at that time. Oh well, what is a girl to do but go shopping!) Then we met up at St. James park for a picnic. This park is right near Buckingham Palace, so we had lovely scenery and a great time in the warm sunshine. They had all of these lounge chairs around to sit in, but after a man came up and asked us if we purchased a ticket for the chairs, we realized you had to pay to sit on them! We fed some ducks, walked around and enjoyed the flowers...a really afternoon! The photo of Sean with the horse and guard is near this park and is where they keep the queen's horses. Sean says the guard is really a knight - sword and all! There were a ton of people trying to get photos with the horse and "knight", so I am surprised that this picture is only Sean and the horse/guard! The guard has to have great control over the horse with so many people around trying to get pictures, etc.

No comments: